Monday, January 4, 2010

Are you Ready?





Never in a millions years would I have dreamed
I would be sitting here today writing this post.  I had planned a very different post, but need to share my weekend.

My dad recently retired after working 41 years.  My mom, sisters, and I worked very hard to throw him a wonderful retirement party.   We had over 60 people at my house; everyone was visiting, celebrating, eating, and otherwise having a good time.  I suddenly heard my sister calling for my husband, and someone rushed into the kitchen looking for the phone to call 911.  A dear friend of my parents had stopped breathing and was in trouble.  I ran in, some other friends and I started working on him, and my husband came in with his EMT kit.

The whole thing was just unreal. I recall thinking, "How can this be happening? There are over 60 people here.  This really can't happen, his wife is right there"  Everyone was very calm and quiet.  As Dan and I were giving CPR, I began to hear mumblings from around the room.  I looked up to see little groups of people gathered all over, praying for our friend, his wife, family, the rescue workers, the doctors and the situation.

The sights and sound of that day are now etched in all of our minds.  The horror of it all, his wife, his close friends, the rescue attempts...  Also included with these memories are our dear friends, heads bowed in prayer.   People moving cars off the driveway, holding doors open, keeping the kids in the basement.


I just needed to get out of my house today.  I went outside in the cold to find that God had provided a beautiful frost covering the trees.  I ran inside to find my camera only to find that with the bright sun, I couldn't see what I was taking pictures of.  I just kept blindly clicking away.  Trusting that I could get a few pictures. 


Thankfully the irony was not lost on me.  We need to trust God, blind as we are.  He will care for us, provide us with everlasting life, if only we trust in Him...

Do you know where you will go after you pass from this life? 


12 comments:

  1. Thinking of You Kate ~ So Sorry this Happened....

    xox
    cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN, my sweet friend. I most assuredly know where I will go when leaving this world...I will ascend into my Heavenly Fathers precious arms. Thank you for posting from your heart. Your pictures are beautiful and they speak loudly with your words. GOD will use this post to touch the lives of many others.
    Blessings and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. So important for people to know....so important to ask. God certianly was there with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you shared this with us, even though it must have been very difficult. Yes I know I am going to Heaven when the Lord calls me home. How wonderful all the guest started doing all we can when we have no control - pray!
    My thoughts and prayers for everyone, especially the dear wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my what a terrible thing to happen..I will keep you all in my prayers. I am so grateful for my faith. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read Libbie's post, too. How terrible for everyone. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry that you and Libbie went through this. Yes it means a lot to me knowing that after this life I can spend eternity with my Father in heaven.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry that happened. But how good you and others knew what to do. Your pictures are lovely, God's creation. Yes, I do know where I'm going and whose I am. Blessings**

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry you had to experience this. I can only imagine how upsetting it must have been.

    God is holding his arms open for me!

    Blessings,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Kate. What a shock for all of you. You are in my prayers and in my heart. Thank you for sharing this. It is wonderful to think of so many pulling together in pray immediately. And it's a great reminder to us all.

    Warm hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a blessing to be surrounded by people who love you and will pray you into the Father's arms. Though the ones left behind are surely sad, you all gave an incredible gift to that man. You attended his deliverance from this life and birth into the next. We should all be so loved.

    Yes, I know where I am going and I can't wait to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my. That is scary and will probably remain etched in your brain forever. As a nurse for over 3 years now I will never forget my first code blue...

    how hard I worked to keep it together the rest of the day at work, how hard I cried when I got home, and how hard the patient's wife hugged me when he didn't make it...

    It really does make you realize how precious life is. That God never promises us tomorrow. But He does promise to always be there when we need him, in good times and in bad. And that is most comforting.

    ReplyDelete