Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Setting the Record Straight

During the Christmas holidays, my Sweet Bluebird was interested sick and bored out of her mind, so she started reading my blog.  She got through about four posts before she looked up with an absolutely horrified look on her face.  She said in a tortured voice, "Mom!  Your blog makes you sound nice!  If people read this, they will think you are nice, and you're not!"  Luckily, I knew exactly what she meant, and I had a good laugh over it.

 I have read more than one post lately, with women comparing themselves to others and falling far short.   This is so dangerous for us on so many levels, so I just want to set the record straight.  I am far from perfect.  If I come across as being even remotely put together, I am giving you the wrong image...  I run around chasing after kids, running them here and there, forgetting one here, catching a hockey game there.  Right now, my house looks like a tornado ran through it.  And due to my husbands crazy work schedule, I haven't talked to him while he has been awake since Saturday...  I remember once when the kids were little, I was busy with about a gazillion things, and realized after they were all tucked in bed, I hadn't fed them dinner.  I had a hazy recollection of one of the kids standing on the counter, handing down Oreo's to the littler ones.  Aha!  They fed dinner to themselves.  No worries...


While I am confessing, I should point out,  I am not actually nice.  I am not a bad person, but nice is not a word that people who know me would use to describe me.  Every morning I wake up, I ask God to help me behave that day.  I need all the help I can get...  Seriously...   This is how not nice I am,  my other sister, Rachael has a pool party for the 4th of July.  During one party, a guy I don't even know sat at the edge of the pool in between Libbie and I.  I leaned back, caught her eye, and with a nod of my head, he was in the pool, clothes and all.  Don't even know the guy... I just couldn't resist...Really, so not a nice thing to do,  hilarious, but not nice...

I am so thankful for my kids, and that so far, God has allowed me to raise wonderful kids.  I don't know how, but God does work miracles you know...  I used to think I would never not have four car seats in the back, never get out of diapers, would forever have a Sunday School teacher whispering in my ear that, "she doesn't have any underwear on under her dress."  (thankfully we no longer have that problem...)  They grow up so quickly, I am just thankful for everyday that my kids seem to like one another...

So, if you are feeling a little, well, not perfect, come over and visit me. I have no clue how to make a cup of coffee, but I can make a mean cup of cocoa.  Just know, that God loves you for who you are, you will make it, and try to enjoy it while you can!






27 comments:

  1. That sure made My Day or should I say Night~
    I can't make Coffee Either, Don't Drink it, actually Hate it & anything that has Coffee in it.... but I will stop by sometime for that cup of Cocoa~
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you all think I am the basketcase mom :) Well at least Annie wears panties to Sunday School :) SO funny. I remember it all! Yes, but you see, your babies are growing up too fast for me! I do love them so...always have...always will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were just lucky Rod didn't have a cell phone on him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this post today...I think we all have our moments...we are only human. I know I have mine. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sense of humor and I love that you keep it real.

    I'm far from perfect myself and my eye site is even worse! lol

    Have a wonderful evening!

    Love and hugs,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to all your comments! Yes, dear heart you really do keep it real! Most of us are of the same grain of fabric but very different in personality. I'm burlap mixed with a little brown paper bag! LOL

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Motto: I'm NOT perfect but I serve a God who IS!

    I am thrilled he is full of Grace when it comes to his children.

    Robin~♥
    BTW: Great post~!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my all time forever favorite post so far. Now, were you writing this about you or about me or are we clones? Thank you for being real, loving God and reminding me He loves me too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate-You are so funny, when I saw on my sidebar that you had a new post I thought to myself oh this is gonna be good! You always bring a smile to my face! I like to think that everyones house is as messy as mine(Iknow that's not true, I just like to think it) Thank God I can crop my photos! My husband has a saying when the house gets REALLY bad that it looks like an episode of COPS was taped here! Thanks for the laugh ~ Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks sooo much for your nice comment yesterday!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for that wonderful post hunni. I very often read peoples blogs and look at there photo's and am left feeling... well inadequate. It's really nice to be reminded that... hey, actually nobody's perfect.
    (((hugs)))
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post - very honest which is more of what we need in the world.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of the best posts I have ever read. We are all less than perfect, we are human. You notice you never get a 'full room' shot in our house and that's for a reason:) I think you're nice though because you leave us the lovliest comments! Thanks! Have a wonderful day! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love a cocoa please! Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog Lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well who would of thought you not being nice. Not Me for sure. hahahaha
    Girl you are to funny. For one thing you are toooooooo busy to be nice. No just kidding but I do love this post. Especially the memories of putting the kids to bed without supper. Not that that is funny but the way to tell us about it.
    Whatever nice or not I do love you
    Maggie
    PS
    Thats why I have Ms Pearl in my life. Shes the one that is not nice

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved that post today. It is so true!

    Thanks for stopping by to say hi, it is alway nice to hear from you.

    Blessings,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am happy and delighted to come by and visit you...none of us are perfect, but we all adore eachother anyway, that's one of the things I absolutely love about blogging...we choose to see the good in people and support and encourage them...all the rest just kind of fades away...

    :) T

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kate, this is just the BEST. Leave it to our children to hold up a huge magnifying mirror right in front of us. I think you are just like the rest of us, so no worries, just keep being YOU! Thanks for the "keepin' it real" segment. Love it!
    hugs and blessings,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love the story about you forgetting to feed them dinner! It makes me feel SO much better...i've forgotten lunch before :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uh, one night I actually left ball practice without one of mine.

    I was halfway home before someone in the back seat piped up, "Mom, where's Jessie?"

    Who?

    Have mercy!

    Not perfect either.

    Sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So Happy to be on this magical little corner with you! I ADORE YOU!! My sweet little bluebird notes sent me over~~ Our songs are never very far apart~~

    XO's

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nope. No perfection here, either. Why do we waste so much time striving for perfection in this lifetime anyway? (Or am I the only one who is challenged in that way?) I love it when people are genuine and real. Thanks for the humorous yet thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kate~

    Thanks for your lovely post and your honesty. It's great to see that we all have those days we're just a bit "off" LOL. It would be great to come sit with you & enjoy some cocoa! :)

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  24. p.s. so glad you "found" me again too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would like to set my record straight.
    I definitly did not say those exact words (what I said sounded atleast a little more mature) and I read your blog all the time...kinda..I just forgot the link...
    -"Sweet Bluebird" (Can I make up a new nickname for myself?)

    ReplyDelete